“Baby it’s cold outside”….well, at least where I am at. It is absolutely freezing. We have had ice and snow storms that have kept me indoors :( And, since it is “winter,” as vegetarians, we have to fuel our bodies with different types of foods than we would during the spring and summer. While I was snowed in the house a couple of weeks ago, I made a large pot of Cajun Red Beans and Rice. I was absolutely delicious. Besides that fact that this recipe is vegan friendly, is packed with flavor, and meatless proteins, it is also a “one pot” recipe, which means, you put all of your ingredients in one pot and you are done! Why over complicate good wholesome food if you don’t need to? That’s my philosophy
Vegetarian Cajun Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 large chopped onion
- 6 mashed garlic cloves
- 4-5 vegetable bouillon cubes (this all depends on your sensitivity to salt and taste preference)
- 1 tablespoon of Tamari (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of Liquid Smoke
- 3 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups of TVP
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of dried red beans, rinsed
1. Turn crockpot on and set to “low.” Add the water, chopped onion, garlic cloves, bouillon cubes, tamari, liquid smoke, chilli powder, cumin, corander, and cayenne pepper. Stir until the bouillon cubes are dissolved.
2. Next, add the TVP, brown rice, and dried beans, stir and cook on “low” for 6 ½ hours.
What are some of your favorite “Winter Comfort Foods” that you enjoy to eat to keep you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside?
Until Next Time,
Happy, Healthy, Vegetarian Eatin’
P.S. – Don’t miss out on all the delicious vegetarian and vegan recipes from VLM. Subscribe, using the form below, by entering your name and email address to get free vegetarian and vegan recipes, news, and videos emailed directly to you. Plus, get your hands on a free vegetarian and vegan cook-book. So what are you waiting for?Tags: new vegetarians, Vegetarian Recipes, vegetarian diet, vegan recipes, vegetarian cooking <BR/>
- Vegetarian Video – Avocado Black Bean Salad & Vegan Snickerdoodles
- EJ Takes A Bite Out Of Culver City’s Native Foods Cafe – Vegetarian Restaurant Review
- Vegan Pumpkin Spiced Bread Recipe – Bake Some!
- EJ Goes To The Richmond Vegetarian Festival
- Vegetarian and Vegan Product Review #8 – Let’s Do Organic Gummi Bears